Re: Lingua Franca of the Web - Will SVG replace HTML?

"Sean B. Palmer" wrote:

> > Isn't this very argument a proof of the interest of SVG that is, unlike
> > the graphic formats we knew before, a graphic format that keeps text
> > stored as text and thus a good compromise between these two statements ?
>
> I'm saying that document structuring and hypertext is more improtant on the
> most fundamental level than graphics. Yes, SVG does integrate them
> neatly... but I don't think "integration" denotes "replacement", and it
> would be very odd to suggest that it does.

No. What I meant is that I think it's far better if site designers that
needs wysiwyg rendering use SVG (a text/XML format that can be analyzed
by text agents and tools) than gif or jpeg...

> By all means, use SVG in XHTML: Amaya does this now, but as for replacing
> XHTML with SVG... I don't see how that would even be possible. Telling
> people to use SVG in that way would be beyond the scope of SVG as a format,
> and I certainly do not think this is a line the W3C would want to take up
> with their data formats. It doesn't make architectural sense. The future
> lies in Semantics, not pretty pictures :-)

And also in semantics within and about pictures :-) and SVG enables this
better than other graphic formats !

I think we do agree, sorry if my wording was not clear.

Eric