Re: Lingua Franca of the Web - Will SVG replace HTML?

From: Daniel Hiester <alatus@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:17:46 -0800
To: "www-html" <www-html@w3.org>
Uh, just to be the doom and gloom kind of person I some times am, I have to
ask one question: how long will it take UA vendors to get SVG right?
Especially if they aren't even talking about parsing XHTML as XML?

And if one company does implement it, how do we know that they aren't
secretly applying for a patent which just happens to cover SVG?

And how will we convince web developers that it's okay to use this new
technology, without descriminating against users of Netscape 2.x running on
their 286 computer from the Smithsonian Museum of Computer Antiques?

That said, I'd love to see SVG become a usable, commonplace technology. I'm
just not holding my breath.

Daniel