Re: HTML4.decl and nsgmls

From: Russell O'Connor <roconnor@math.berkeley.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 14:28:39 -0800 (PST)
To: bogus trumper <trumper@gmx.li>
cc: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>
On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, bogus trumper wrote:

> when I parse a html-document with nsgmls the following message appears:
>
> nsgmls:/usr/local/lib/sgml/HTML4.decl:23:32:W: characters in the document
> character set with numbers exceeding 65535 not supported
>
> in line 23 of HTML4.decl is:
> 57344   1056768 57344
>
> is this just a warning or an error or a nsgmls-problem and the
> HTML4.decl is ok ?

I believe this is a limitation of nsgmls.  The result is that if your
document uses characters beyond #65535, then it may return errors in your
document that are not really there.  Most users don't uses characters in
the range 65535 and above, and can safely ingore this warning.

--
Russell O'Connor
           <http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~roconnor/>