Re: HTML4.decl and nsgmls

From: Russell O'Connor <roconnor@math.berkeley.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 14:28:39 -0800 (PST)
To: bogus trumper <trumper@gmx.li>
cc: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>
On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, bogus trumper wrote:

> when I parse a html-document with nsgmls the following message appears:
> nsgmls:/usr/local/lib/sgml/HTML4.decl:23:32:W: characters in the document
> character set with numbers exceeding 65535 not supported
> in line 23 of HTML4.decl is:
> 57344   1056768 57344
> is this just a warning or an error or a nsgmls-problem and the
> HTML4.decl is ok ?

I believe this is a limitation of nsgmls.  The result is that if your
document uses characters beyond #65535, then it may return errors in your
document that are not really there.  Most users don't uses characters in
the range 65535 and above, and can safely ingore this warning.

Russell O'Connor
``Paradoxically, a refusal to `put a monetary value on life' means that
life is often undervalued.'' -- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach