Re: Add Version Information to Script Element

----- Original Message -----
From: "Axel Dahmen" <a.dahmen@infozoom.de>
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, 19 December, 2000 4:01 PM
Subject: RFC: Add Version Information to Script Element

> Hi,
>
> IMHO, using the "type" attribute to set both the language and the required
> version number is not a clean
> solution. Browser applications need to hard-code which language and
version
> they support from a one-dimensional
> list of supported scripting languages.
>
> Thus, I'd like to suggest to add a "version" attribute to the script
> element...
>
>     <!ATTLIST script version CDATA -- absolute decimal number -->

Don't confuse version numbers with decimal numbers. User agents might well
want to ignore subversion numbers below a certain level, so a user agent
supporting WidgetScript 4.1 might execute WidgetScript 4.1.0.2 scripts.

> ...and to other elements dealing with scripting, like the meta tag:

> This would yield much cleaner implementations of version checking.
>
> What's your oppinion?

If it is important to express the version number of a scripting language, it
seems to me the appropriate way to do it would be by using attributes on the
MIME media type, such as:

<script type="application/x-javascript;version=1.3">

Web servers could also set this on the HTTP Content-Type: header, allowing
alternate files with different versions to be selected in content
negotiation.