Re: XHTML Basic

Terje Bless <link@tss.no> wrote:

> [ Moving to www-html as per mimasa's request.                       ]

Thanks, and I have removed www-validator from Cc list, as this is
no longer a validator issue.

> Are you trying to say that "While `id´ /can/ be used on `A´, it's not
> necessary as it was with `<A name="foo">´, and some browsers do not support
> it, so XHTML Basic _prefers_ that you place `id´ attributes on other
> elements to achieve the same effect"? It sounds like both you and Masayasu
> Ishikawa[0] are saying that `<A id="foo">´ is actually illegal in XHTML
> Basic, and I assume that's incorrect?

Excuse me if my message has confused some people.  Shane is right,
the source of the XHTML Basic document never uses the "id" attribute
on the "a" element as an anchor point, instead relying upon the "id"
attribute of elements like "h2" and "dt".  While `<a id=3D"foo">...</a>´
is legal in XHTML Basic, since most elements may have the "id" attribute,
you don't have to use the "a" element just to add the "id" attribute.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium

<off-topic>
> [0] - Is "Masa" the correct shortening or is that overly familiar?
>       With English names I have a vague idea, but with Japanese(?)
>       I'm way out of my dept. Would Masayasu-san be correct or have
>       I seen too many bad WWII movies? :-)

"Masa" is OK, actually some of my old friends used to call me "Masa".
I don't mind whatever I'm called.  In general, Japanese people won't
use nickname in public discussion ("Ishikawa-san" would be more common
in such situation), but since Shane and I know each other and we are
discussing in English, "Masa" is just fine.
</off-topic>