coming propriety concerns

From: Daniel Hiester <alatus@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:39:47 -0800
To: "www-html" <www-html@w3.org>
I'm sure we've all read that Microsoft is developing .net, and Sun is developing ONE. My understanding is that these technologies are largely XML-based.

This question is rather far-fetched, but is there ANY chance that these two technologies will create some difficulties for the continued development, and potential implementation, and use, of XHTML? Or am I just too paranoid?