RE: Make Microsoft follow the spec.

From: Edward Barrow <edward@copyweb.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:25:23 -0500 (EST)
To: "'Dunbar, Jennifer L Ms MAMC'" <Jennifer.Dunbar@nw.amedd.army.mil>, "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
On Tuesday, February 27, 2001 4:54 PM, Dunbar, Jennifer L Ms MAMC
[SMTP:Jennifer.Dunbar@nw.amedd.army.mil] wrote:
> As a student to the world of website building, I am wondering about a
> fundamental question.  The w3c is an agreed upon entitiy that
> maintains/monitors/develops the language of the web (html,xml, etc).  If
> this is the case, why is it that all "up to date" browser programs do not
> support all included "tags" for this language? Maybe I am over
simplifying
> this problem?

One or other - standards bodies or the browser-makers - must lead the
innovation process. Until the w3c, it was the browser-makers, and the
competition was messy (frames, layers, tag soup)... It is, I think, healthy
that  innovation is now led by the public standards bodies, and that the
browser-makers increasingly claim to be "standards-compliant"; although the
pace is perhaps slower than at the height of the browser wars, the change -
along the lines mapped out by the w3c - is more predictable.

Nevertheless, it is important not to be complacent; large corporations like
 Microsoft always hanker after the competitive advantage that accrues from
controlling innovation.

Edward Barrow
new media copyright consultant
http://www.copyweb.co.uk/