Re: Please tell me where to look for HTML Internationalization standards

"Lamertina, John" <JohnL@concepsys.com> wrote:

> I've reviewed the June 2000, RFC284 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2854.html),
> which reports to obsolete RFC2070, Internationalization of HTML, but I'm
> still confused.
>
> How do I use HTML in my projects to internationalize our web-based software?

HTML 4 has integrated most internationalization features of RFC 2070.
See "A.3.13 Changes for internationalization" in the HTML 4
Specification [1].  Current Recommendation in the HTML 4 series is
HTML 4.01 [2].

XHTML 1.0 [3] is a reformulation of HTML4 in XML 1.0 [4], and it
preserves the same internationalization features of HTML 4 (plus
the xml:lang attribute).  If you want to take advantage of XML (e.g.
all XML processors are required to accept the UTF-8 and UTF-16
encodings of ISO/IEC 10646 / Unicode), XHTML 1.0 is a good choice.

You may find some useful information at the W3C Internationalization
Activity page [5].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/changes.html#h-A.3.13
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1