Re: Alt and Title attributes with A anf IMG as tooltip

Alessando Melò <alessandro.melo@nettuno.it> wrote:

> I know that an extra information about the link goes on A tag,
> but doing so title text disappear. I don't need the alt(ernative)
> text as tooltip

You are quite correct. Since alt-text is supposed to be a
replacement for graphical content instead of additional
information, showing the alt-text as a tooltip in addition to
showing the image itself is inappropriate, despite it being
common legacy-browser behaviour.

So to answer the question, (1) is correct and works properly
in Mozilla and Opera. If you really want IE/Win users to see
the title text you could use (2) or duplicate the title in
both elements. It's not pretty but it'll do until such time
as MS can be persuaded to fix it.

(Netscape 4 you can forget since it doesn't support title
at all.)

--
Andrew Clover
Technical Consultant