RE: client side includes

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Murray Macdonald wrote:

> While it is true HTTP1.1 saves some time by not needing to continually
> reestablish connections, it remains true that UAs by default only have
> 5 or so connections open at a time.  Unless I am mistaken, even with
> HTTP1.1 a quantity of CSI files (images, objects, js includes, html
> includes) requires the time of multiple round trips.

Even if 30 CSI were realistic, I believe section 8.1.2.2 of HTTP 1.1
<ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2616.txt> on pipelining should address your
issue.  But I'm not all that well read on HTTP/1.1.

As a bonus, using entities for client side includes places the names of
the required entities to retrieve at the beginning of the document.  So a
UA can begin downloading the pieces to include even before the spot where
it needs to be included is retrieved.

--
Russell O'Connor
           <http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~roconnor/>