Image collections (was: Suggestion for a new HTML Tag(

From: Ben Bucksch <ben.bucksch.news@beonex.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 23:08:22 +0100
To: Jeff Barber <jeff.barber@oracle.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Ben Bucksch wrote:

>    If you're proposing reworking something (like HTTP, HTML, etc)
>    you're expected to have a pretty good knowlege of it first.

Jeff, I didn't mean to say that you don't have good knowledge of the web.

>    * Relevant topics Stuart Cheshire's discussion on Latency versus
>      Bandwidth
>      <http://rescomp.stanford.edu/%7Echeshire/rants/Networkdynamics.html>
>    * Internet -- Under the Covers (by me)
>      <http://junior.apk.net/%7Eqc/comp/protocols/>

I read over those docs, but unfortunately, they are not relevant as
advertized.

My guess is that you can't be sure, which images the user wants to
download. I might have turned images off and just download those whose
descriptions interest me. It would be impractical to force me to
download all images at once.
Also, some images might be shared across pages, while others are not. At
best, you'd probably end up with a bunch of image sets (or "arrays") again.

HTTP Pipelining might be the answer to your question. See for example
<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/Pipeline.html>.

Ben