Re: Are the public HTML DTDs valid XML?

From: Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:39:21 +0000
To: "Christian Wolfgang Hujer" <Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com>, <www-html@w3.org>
On Friday 07 December 2001 00:20, Christian Wolfgang Hujer wrote:
[...]
|   I recommend the use of ASCII only and encoding all Unicode characters
| with a character number greater than 159 (128 to 159 are of no interest,
| they are control characters and may not be used in XML documents anyway)
| using their correspondig character entities, e.g. &uuml; for the German u
| Umlaut or &#260; for the Polish A with "ogonek".

Hello Christian!

I guess you have never used Cyrillic - as your advice (quoted above) is
absolutely useless for Cyrillic-based alphabets.
You should use ISO-8859-1 or its successor, ISO-8859-15, only when your page
uses this character range.
For all other cases, you should use Unicode (UTF-8).
Unicode TTF fonts are widely available nowdays, so I see no problem with
transition to Unicode. Windows 2000 has good support for Unicode, KDE (Linux,
UNIX, FreeBSD) supports Unicode natively and I guess MacOS X too.
So all major platforms completed migration and supporting *legacy* technics
like  &uuml; for Umlaut make no sence anymore.

Best Regards,

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)