State of named character reference apos in XHTML

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 23:45:19 +0200
To: www-html-editor@w3.org, www-html@w3.org
Hi,

   XML 1.0 introduces a new named character reference '&apos;' to refer
to U+0027 APOSTROPHE. This entity wasn't included in any HTML version,
but it is not listed as compatibility issue in appendix C of XHTML 1.0.
When delivering XHTML documents as text/html current browsers don't
recognize this entity. There is trouble ticket #107 in the Voyager Issue
Tracking System with a note, that the HTML WG decided to add this entity
to HTML 4.01; HTML 4.01 however doesn't include this entity and it
appears to me that this decision was made after HTML 4.01 was published.
The current errata for HTML 4 doesn't list the omission of &apos;
either.

I suggest to discard the idea of adding &apos; to HTML 4.01 since it
would require to change the relevant DTDs and this is not possible in a
usable fashion through an errata; I suggest further adding another item
in appendix C of XHTML 1.0 that read e.g.

  C.xx Named Character Reference &apos;

  The named character reference &apos; (the apostrophe, U+0027) was
  introduced in XML 1.0 but didn't appear in former HTML versions.
  Authors should therefore use &#39; instead of &apos; to work as
  expected in HTML 4 user agents.

regards,