Re: CSS vs. Tables

From: Timothy Luoma <elists@1stpc.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:50:13 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Madison M" <rllrgrrl@hotmail.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

> The w3c is moving toward using tables just for tabular data, and
> using CSS for layout, but they have a way to go yet to make it work
> properly.

Hasn't the w3c always wanted to avoid using tables for layout?

> Though I did an experiment with doing a layout that imitated
> frames but using only divs. It only works in NS6 though, as IE only
> supports top and left for defining div position, not bottom
> and right. that is, IE can only do fixed width div layouts.
> (as far as I have been able to test)

Thanks for the page.

It gave me an idea.... "Could <div>s give me one line that has left-,
center-, and right- aligned text?"

Something like this:

left                        center                   right

(Which is something that I can only do using Tables, as far as I know)

So I tried this (in Opera)

It fails totally in IE (I don't have Netscape installed, so I can't say
how it works there)

It'll be nice when we get to the point where we don't have to use
tables for layout, but it's a long way away, unfortunately.