TD ignores font?

From: Handeland, Jarle <jarle.handeland@capgemini.no>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 14:37:04 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org

(Somebody told me yesterday that my CSS/HTML questions don't belong in this
list...*)

Situation: I have applied the following style to the TD tag for NS 4.08:

   TD { font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 12px; }

Still the browser renders the default font in table cells (Times NR, and yes
the other fonts (Verdana, Gen...) are installed on my system...).

Q: Why doesn't NS use my definition of the TD tag?

  Thanx!
 ;- Jarle

*: If I'm posting wrong type of questions to this list and anybody find that
annoying, please tell me what other list I should use and I'll join that one
instead :-)