RE: XML declaration in XHTML causes problems

From: Dave J Woolley <david.woolley@bts.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:07:16 +0100
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
> From:	Frank Tobin [SMTP:ftobin@uiuc.edu]
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd:
>
>     <!ELEMENT body %Block;>
>     <!ENTITY % Block "(%block; | form | %misc;)*">
>
> So, unless I'm mistaken, there must be zero or more children in a %Block.
> Hence, a <body> may be empty.
	[DJW:]
	Given that the intention of XHTML 1.0 is not to change
	anything in HTML 4.01 that can be accurately represented
	in XML and that the HTML 4.01 content model has a "+" closure
	operator in the content model, requiring either a script
	or %block element to be present, and %block cannot be
	empty, I would say the XHTML DTD is broken.

> I would see no reason for demanding there be children of <body>'s anyways.
	[DJW:]
	Many people do not like completely blank pages (although, by
	allowing SCRIPT, the HTML 4.01 strict DTD allows the most common
	cause of completely blank pages.  (The other is framesets, which
	are not allowed.)

[DJW:]