XHTML 1.0 and XHTML 1.1 as Co-existing Languages

From: Sean Palmer <sean_b_palmer@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 15:56:16 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-html@w3.org
Hello everyone,
I just thought some people may be interested in a
short note that I
have published, entitled "XHTML 1.0 and XHTML 1.1 as
Languages" at

To save the lazy people, I'll re-publish it here:-
"It is clear that XHTML 1.1 will represent a major
departure from XHTML 1.0, namely the fact that 1.1/2.0
are XML languages
first and foremost, and should be presented with the
type "text/xml" or possibly "text/xhtml+xml". (There
are some rampant
discussions about that).
Now, if XHTML 1.0 is still to be parsed as text/html
and 1.1/2.0 as
text/xml, surely this will cause extreme backwards
problems? For this reason, it is clear to me that
XHTML 1.0 and XHTML
1.1/2.0 will need to exist side-by-side in order to
become well
implemented in the general Internet community.

For instance, it may be possible to issue documents as
XHTML 1.0/1.1,
but change them using XSLT to XHTML 2.0 using CC/PP
and XSLT. Then
more up do date browsers would get the benefits of
XHTML 1.1/2.0,
whereas older browsers will get the functionality of
All indications point to the XHTML 2.0 spec. saying
that XHTML 2.0
will rely on translation by XSLT for display, but I
think it will
also heavily require CSS, or XCSS."

 Copyright Sean B. Palmer, 2000. All rights reserved.

A pretty obvious note I know, but it seems I can't
publish anything else - work in progress!
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
WAP Tech Info - http://www.waptechinfo.com/

Do You Yahoo!?