RE: the 'target' attribute

From: Jim Correia <correia@barebones.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 21:18:32 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org
cc: Rowland Shaw <Rowland.Shaw@seagatesoftware.com>
On 4:32 AM 8/31/00 Rowland Shaw <Rowland.Shaw@seagatesoftware.com>
wrote:

> It's a shame that to have this functionality will loose the strict
> 4.01 compliance (I'd rather not use transitional) but at the same
> time, it's not really a frameset document either, it merely wants to
> start related content in a method that it's easy to return to the
> original page -- as we've already discussed, it's remarkably easy to
> break the back button functionality...
>
> It's that lame justification that I can see a use for target to move
> into the strict DTD, even if it's only with the standard frame names
> (_top _parent _blank etc)

Why not do something like this?

web site</a>

You get compliance with the strict dtd, the functionality you want, and
a working fallback on browers which don't support javascript (but the
user will have to use the back button or the history - horror no!).

Jim
--
Jim Correia                                Bare Bones Software, Inc.
correia@barebones.com                     <http://web.barebones.com>