Can the frameset element contain body?

From: Morten Wang <mww@infostream.no>
Date: 12 Oct 2000 17:32:07 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org
Looking at the HTML 4.01 DTDs and recommendation regarding the NOFRAMES
element I've started wondering if it's at all legal, maybe even
required, to have a BODY element inside the NOFRAMES element.

In the HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD, which is where the NOFRAMES element
is specified, the rule for the content in it is defined as:

<![ %HTML.Frameset; [
<!ENTITY % noframes.content "(BODY) -(NOFRAMES)">
]]>

<!ENTITY % noframes.content "(%flow;)*">

As far as I've been able to understand from reading the introduction on
how to read the DTD, as well as looking closely at the frameset and
transitional DTDs for a while, the last rule is used when the document
is not in a frameset context.  The first, which is used in a frameset
context (due to the rule found in the frameset DTD), specifies that one,
and only one instance of BODY is _required_, and it can under no
circumstances contain another NOFRAMES element.  The NOFRAMES element is
then defined as:

<!ELEMENT NOFRAMES - - %noframes.content;
 -- alternate content container for non frame-based rendering -->

There's two examples of the usage of NOFRAMES in the HTML 4.01
recommendation, both using the frameset DTD, URLs

Neither of these contain a BODY element inside the NOFRAMES element,
which is of course why I'm wondering what's the right thing to do.

Morten!