XHTML: why are sub/sup in the presentation module?

From: Richard Lanyon <richard.lanyon@physiol.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 07:07:30 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-html@w3.org

(Incidentally, I tried sending this to w3c-html-editor@w3.org and the mail
was bounced back to me)

With respect to the XHTML Modularization CR, why are the <sub> and <sup>
elements placed in the Presentation Module? They are used extensively in
science, and even in more common cases: if I want to say that my
floorspace is 5 square metres, I might write 5 m<sup>2</sup>. The
superscript there carries semantic, not merely presentational,
information.

Richard Lanyon