LAYER supports src=URL but does DIV have anything comparable?

From: Maria <maria@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:17:41 -0500 (EST)
To: <www-html@w3.org>
I am looking for a way to use DIV and LAYER in the same way.  LAYER allows
for "src=filename.htm" but I can't find any documentation showing the same
functionality for DIV.  Do you know if there is anything comparable for DIV?

I am generating HTML files dynamically and there will be 6 layers, some of
which will contain query results - I don't want the user to have to wait for
all the queries to finish before presenting them with a page.  If I can use
"src=filename.htm" with both LAYER and DIV then the output can be displayed
as the files are completed.

-maria