Re: HTTP header field sizes

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 17:33:45 -0600
To: Corey Wineman <cwineman@perseus.anserwv.org>
CC: www-html@w3.org
Corey Wineman wrote:

> Is there some specification that describes how long certain HTTP header
> fields should be? I browsed through a couple of the RFCs and saw desciptions
> for the format of fields and which characters were/were not valid, but
> didn't notice anything about length.
> Is there, for example, a suggested limit on the number of characters that
> can be included in the Content-Type: header field?

I'm pretty sure there's no limit, in general.

I think there are some related security considerations...
a really, really long header field can cause a server
to dump core, waste a lot of time, etc., if you're not
careful.

hm... I don't see them documented.
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec15.html#sec15

--