RE: Frames in WebTV (was RE: NOFRAMES) (off topic)

	[DJW:]  Note this is still off topic as it relates to
	the browser market and HTTP, not to the design of HTML.

> From:	Christian Smith [SMTP:csmith@barebones.com]
>

> That was my point. You can't make any assumptions about the number of
> people using a specific user agent to visit a site when/if that user agent
> is by default designed to use a caching proxie server on the ISPs end.

	[DJW:]  As I understand it, WebTV uses an application level
	gateway.  Sensibly this would cache.  Many ordinary users don't
	use caches unless their service provider pre-configures one or
	uses tranparent proxying, so you would expect WebTV to have an
	above average cache hit ratio.

> The numbers themselves are virtually useless because of the use of caching
> proxie servers.

	[DJW:]  Good references on the perils of relying on this
	sort of statistic include:  http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/docs/stats/
	and http://www.analog.cx/docs/webworks.html

	My original source for WebTV being significant was a Microsoft
	seminar on "Deploying Scalable E-Commerce Solutions", where they
said that 10% of their
	customers wanted to support WebTV.

	Note, many organisations put analysed logs on the web, which can be
found quite easily.