Re: Frames in WebTV (was RE: NOFRAMES)

On Tuesday, May 30, 2000 at 12:22, tantek@cs.stanford.edu (Tantek Çelik) wrote:

> From: Christian Smith <csmith@barebones.com>
> Date: Tue, May 30, 2000, 12:10 PM
>
> <snip>
>
> > all WebTV traffic goes thru a caching server
>
> Strictly speaking, that statement is incorrect.

In what sense is this incorrect? The WebTV user agents don't use caching
servers at all?

> In addition, a caching server could be sending across a "WebTV" user
> agent string in its HTTP requests, which would then imply that the
> numbers given for WebTV underestimate the true number of WebTV client
> "hits" received by the statmarket site or any other website browsed by a
> WebTV user.

That was my point. You can't make any assumptions about the number of
people using a specific user agent to visit a site when/if that user agent
is by default designed to use a caching proxie server on the ISPs end.

Clearly the StatMarket numbers do provide some count of WebTV access
(based on Richard's latest post) but the basic principle still holds true.
The numbers themselves are virtually useless because of the use of caching
proxie servers.

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com

He who dies with the most friends... Is still dead!