New HTML Addition

From: Brian Fusco <brian@free-spot.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 13:42:16 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org
Cc: "Brian Fusco" <brian@free-spot.com>
Dear W3C,

I'm a web developer and I just wanted to suggest a new attribute you could
include in future HTML standards.

The tag <MAXLENGTH> would be a much welcome addition to tables.  With this
new attribute, people would be able to easily define the maximum a table
would display on viewers with high-resolution monitors.  For low-resolution
viewers, the table would display just as big as possible. This would allow
for much easier web pages that would expand up until a certain pixel width
and then stop so the page doesn't look too spaced out.  Microsoft tries to
do something of this sort on their MSN portal with a complicated Visual
Basic script.  This attribute would simply be ignored by older browsers, so
it would not cause any problems.  I think improvements like this would be
greatly appreciated by the web design community.  Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Brian Fusco