Re: SM

Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> At 04:05p -0400 05/02/00, Joe Kaczmarek didst inscribe upon an
> electronic papyrus:
> >Is "sm" an entity as "tm" (™) is?
> >If not, will it be?
>
> Two things:
>
>    1. ™ is not an entity. It's not even valid HTML. (It's MS-Windows.)
>       The HTML entity for TM is "™"

™ may not be valid, but I've created for myself an HTML page which
displays � through Ā so that I can actually see which character
is displayed. I use both a Macintosh and a PC to test sites for that
audience, and whether or not ™ is valid, it works on both whereas
™ does not work (and displays as "™") on the Mac. And making
sure that people in my audience see "TM" and not "™" is more
important to me.

>    2. You can do SM using Unicode. See this page on my web site:
>       <http://www.natural-innovations.com/boo/doc-charset.html>

&#8480; does not display "SM" on either the Macintosh or the PC. If
displaying these Unicode characters takes some extra declaration such as
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=EUC-JP">
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/charset.html#spec-char-encoding), then
what do I need to declare for Unicode characters so that &#8480; will
display "SM". (NOTE: I can and have spent hours and days following links
in complete circles at W3C anytime I try to find an answer to a simple
question of "what should I use").

Joe.