Re: device upload update

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:10:00 -0600
To: jps-devup@bovik.org, timbl@w3.org
CC: devup-supporters@bovik.org, www-html@w3.org
Please do not abuse the inbox of the director with misinformed
'appeals' about W3C specifications. Mr. Salsman's complaint
regards the quality of implementations, not the quality
of W3C specifications:

James Salsman wrote:

> [...]  Nor
> is there any acknowledgement that basic microphone upload is
> only implemented on wintel-platform browsers, with inherently
> insecure binary plug-ins.

You are welcome to address your comments about the quality of HTML user
agent implementations to the suppliers/vendors of those implementations.

> If you want the W3C to take a position on device upload which will
> address these problems, requiring browser vendors who aspire to
> conform to W3C standards to implement device upload in a way that
> is both platform-independent and compatible with their own legacy
> implementations of simple file upload, then please reply to this
> message saying so.

I expect that such a reply will have no such effect. It will much
more likely just waste a lot of W3C staff time.

If you have substantive technical arguments about W3C specifications,
you're invited to make them in the www-html forum. But advocacy
about implementations is not welcome.

>  Please don't change the subject line; the
> reply-to header on this message should send your reply to Tim Berners-Lee,
> the W3C Director, who has final say in all W3C process appeals.

I do not see any W3C process to which an appeal would be relevant.