target attribute

From: Edward Barrow <edward@plato32.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:33:29 -0000
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Could someone explain to me why the target attribute is absent from the
xhtml 1.0 strict dtd, but not deprecated in the transitional dtd? I can
understand why it is not supported in relation to frames but it is also
useful, with the value new, to launch a new window - functionality which
xlink supports in the show attribute. Do I have to stick to the loose dtd
until such time as useragents supporting xlink are widespread?

Edward Barrow
edward@plato32.demon.co.uk