Re: Device upload for all platforms -- the official HTML WG position

From: Iain Wilkie Logan <iainlogan@enterprise.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 17:33:08 +0000 (GMT)
To: Steven Pemberton <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>, www-html@w3.org
cc: Archive On Line <archive-on-line@argonet.co.uk>
On Mon 28 Feb, Steven Pemberton wrote:

Dear Mr Pemberton,

> I think that as chair of the HTML WG, I had better quickly put this
> straight.
>
> James Salsman sent the HTML Working Group a proposal sometime ago for
> device upload. We read it, and sent back details to him of how it could be
> improved (for instance for device independence). However, he declined to
> make changes, claiming that it was fine as it was. We said that we couldn't
> accept it flawed as it was, and offered him ways to get involved.
>
> Since then he has been sending messages like the above, apparently thinking
> that the problems in his proposal can be solved by petition.
>
> The HTML WG has no problems with device upload, and has never refused to
> support device upload; we think it is a good idea. James Salsman's proposal
> is flawed, and we have commented on how it could be repaired.
>
> The WG is currently working on revised forms, and any device upload would
> be in the context of that work.
>
> The <object> element is a part of HTML 4, which was created by a group of
> representatives from many companies. It is not a platform-dependent or
> vendor-dependent element.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Steven Pemberton
> Chair, W3C HTML WG

Thank you for this reassuring response.

Just to set the record straight, as a subscriber to 'www-html@w3.org' I was
the one responsible for notifying the RISC OS community about Mr Salsman's
original posting. Being unaware of the underlying political situation at the
time, I did so in good faith.

I have now posted a request to the 'comp.sys.acorn.misc' newsgroup, and to
the other mailing list to which I subscribe, asking subscribers not to post
any further messages on this topic to 'www-html@w3.org'.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience I may have caused,
however unwittingly. I also apologise to and on behalf of any of the RISC OS
community who may have innocently posted to 'www-html@w3.org' as a result of
my original message.

All the best,

Iain

(Original quoted in full for benefit of CC recipients. Also posted to
'comp.sys.acorn.misc')

--

Iain Logan, Langholm, Dumfriesshire - Chartered Transport Consultant
<http://homepages.enterprise.net/iainlogan/>