RE: XHTML and charset's [was: Re: XHTML questions]

From: Jim Correia <correia@barebones.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:45:47 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org
cc: Ian Graham <ian.graham@utoronto.ca>
On 9:29 AM 6/30/00 Ian Graham <igraham@smaug.java.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> I think you mean UTF-16 (the two-byte encoding). UTF-8 doesn't use /
> require a byte order mark, as all characters are encoded as a
> stream of one, two, or more bytes, and the encoding rules uniquely
> define the ordering of the bytes (a byte stream).

Had he meant UTF-16, he probably would have said so.

You cannot byte swap a UTF-8 file due to the nature of the encoding, but
it is still desirable at times to include the UTF-8 BOM, EF BB BF, to
indicate that the following stream of characters is indeed encoded as
UTF-8 and not something else.

<http://www.unicode.org/unicode/faq/#BOM>
--
Jim Correia                                Bare Bones Software, Inc.
correia@barebones.com                     <http://web.barebones.com>