RE: XHTML and charset's [was: Re: XHTML questions]

On Thursday, June 29, 2000 at 16:35, igraham@ic-unix.ic.utoronto.ca (Ian Graham) wrote:

> Bertilo is correct -- things are fine if your documet only
> contains ASCII characters, as they map onto the same byte
> sequence in UTF-8.
>
> HOwever, things go wrong if you hav non-ascii characters
> in the document. They also fail (on Navigator 4 and earlier)
> if you have charcter references in the document that
> references non-latin-1 characters. For example, character
> references like
>
> ఴ
>
> (this is a made up number I'm afraid), which references the
> 3124th character in Unicode, will only work if you explicitlyu
> set UTF-8 using a META element.

And if you save a file as UTF-8 and include the UTF8 byte order mark, IE
for the Macintosh at least doesn't deal with this very well (it renders
the byte order mark as a garbage character). I don't know how well other
browsers handle this.

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com

He who dies with the most friends... Is still dead!