Re: XHTML and charset's [was: Re: XHTML questions]

From: Chris Croome <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:19:19 +0100
To: Ian Graham <ian.graham@utoronto.ca>
Cc: Christian Smith <csmith@barebones.com>, www-html@w3.org
Hi

On Thu 29-Jun-2000 at 11:55:00AM -0400, Ian Graham wrote:

> As for UTF-8, the drawback is that this is not supported by
> Navigator 3 (I think),

I have just tried installing Netscape 1, 2 and 3 on a windoze box and
all 3 seem to be fine with UTF-8!

Do some platforms / browsers have a problem with UTF-8 and if so does
anyone know what they are?

> and with navigator 4 you must be careful
> to put a META elemnent inside the document declaring the
> charset -- if you don,t then Navigator 4 will assume the
> wrong charset value.

Have you an example of this, I never set the chr set in documents and
always do it at the server level (cos it's easier :-)

Chris

--
Chris Croome <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>

http://www.webarchitects.co.uk/