Re: XHTML and charset's [was: Re: XHTML questions]

On Wednesday, June 28, 2000 at 14:43, chris@webarchitects.co.uk (Chris Croome) wrote:

> I'm still confused by all of this...
>
> As an experiment I have set up this page:
>
> http://c.croome.net/
>
> to be served as UTF-8 and the same page at this address:
>
> http://chris.croome.net/
>
> to be served as ISO-8859-1
>
> Both are valid XHTML according to the WDG and W3 validators,

	While the WDG validator can and does validate XHTML, the W3C
	validator currently only does a well-formedness check.

> however both are invalid on this XML validator:
>
> http://www.stg.brown.edu/service/xmlvalid/

I think there is a problem with this validator. It doesn't seem to like
the XHTML 1.0 DTD.

> I have tested the pages in Netscape 3, 4 and 6 in X11 and everything is
> fine (apart from the fact that in NN4 you get different fonts with the
> different encodings!) and they are also OK in Lynx and in MSIE4 and
> MSIE5 on windoze...
>
> Is there any drawback to using UTF-8 for some browsers/platforms?

Certainly. Some browsers may not support UTF-8 (but all modern ones do).

> And why isn't this page valid XML?

It is as near as I can tell.

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com
PGP Fingerprint  -  60E5 2216 97D2 1D1A B923 F036 00A9 CEC0 D411 FA89