RE: XHTML, content type, and content negotiation

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:42:12 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org
> From:	Karl Ove Hufthammer [SMTP:huftis@bigfoot.com]
>
> IMO, the world (wide web) would be a much better place if all browsers
> acted
> this way (from the start of -- it's too late now).

	[DJW:]  I don't think that is commercially realistic.
	The quality of browsers is judged by people who do not
	understand the true structure of HTML, so the commercial
	pressure is to appear to work for more broken HTML than
	the competitors.  Rejecting invalid HTML would be seen as
	a bug by many users.

	Similarly, people will not check the validity of the
	HTML before calling the supplier's, expensive to provide,
	support line.

	Even second guessing content type is an example of this
	strategy by vendors.