overlapped span

From: Pawel S. Veselov <vps@phoenix.math.spbu.ru>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 02:38:08 +0400 (MSD)
To: www-html@w3.org
Hi,

    I was trying to create different kind of html tests, that includes
    really incorrect html for testing a browser. And I got the following,
    and it appears that neither Netscape nor MSIE can render this html
    correctly.

    So, I got sort of technical question - how a browser should handle
    this cases ? I mean is there any well-known algorithm for doing this ?
    I didn't try Amaya, though.

So, if you can give some help or suggestions - I would really
appreciate it.

Thanx,
    Pawel.