RE: What is an XHTML document?

> From:	Daniel Hiester [SMTP:alatus@mail.earthlink.net]
>
> The problem with this idea is that it creates the necessity for content
> creators to code their XHTML to old specs, to be friendly to people with
> older browsers, and I'm sure we all agree we've had too much of that.
> IMHO,

[DJW:]  No there is too little of it.  Backwards compatibility
in authoring was one of the basic principles in HTML.  Restricting
documents to the latest browsers only really serves the people
creating those browsers and the machines capable of running them.

On the other hand, most commercial pages are authored to *render*
in a particular way on one, or maybe two, recent commercial
browsers.