Re: What is an XHTML document?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:20:01 -0500
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
CC: www-html@w3.org
"L. David Baron" wrote:
[...]
> If these conformance requirements apply to XHTML documents served as
> "text/html", then user agents that also support SGML-based HTML must
> (possibly in violation of section 7.2.1 of RFC 2616 [2]) detect whether
> the content sent as text/html is XHTML or not.

Probably so. I'm having trouble understanding the
XHTML conformance requirements myself:

can't make sense of modularization conformance section
Dan Connolly (Thu, Jul 06 2000)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2000JulSep/0012.html

"validate against"???
Dan Connolly (Thu, Feb 10 2000)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2000JanMar/0100.html

In any case, if I were an implementor,
I would key off the presence of an xmlns attribute
in the first start tag to detect XHTML.

i.e. if the string "xmlns" occurs beteween the
first "<html" and the first ">" that follows it
then treat it as XHTML.

Hmm... it might be nice to support other prefixes
for the XHTML namespace, so you might use
"<" followed by an XML name to find the first start tag.