RE: XHTML/XML comment

From: Christopher Luebcke <CLuebcke@Heur.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:32:07 -0800
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
rev-bob@gotc.com wrote:

>> I just printed the XHTML 1.0 document and an floored by the
>> following:
>>
>>    4.2 Element and attribute names must be in lower case.
>
> XML is case-sensitive; as a reformulation of HTML in XML syntax, XHTML
must be case-
> sensitive as well.

This was probably answered in the development of XML (and I'd guess you
could trace it back to SGML, of which I know nothing) but since we're on the
subject, why is it case sensitive? I can't imagine (well, I can but I don't
want to) that there is any intention of adding new tags to the XHTML
recommendation that have the same name but different case than existing
ones; nor can I see the creation of XML DTDs that contain same-named tags of
different case. I'm sure I'm just lacking background on this, but could
somebody summarize what the reason behind this minor hindrance is? Thanks.

Christopher Luebcke