input type="image" takes no name or value?

From: Nick Traenkner <nick@kentinfoworks.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:02:17 -0500 (EST)
To: www-html@w3.org
A humble question regarding the input element...

Where is the error in my thinking the input element if type attr is set
to image I should still be able to use the name and value attribute?
There is no warning listed for this. I wouldn't ask this group except
that it seems to work against what (I have come to expect- which may be
completely misguided) of HTML.

-nick

--
"where do the brokenhearted park their cars?"
-Heartbreak Garage, Pere Ubu