Re: Physical markup concept snag

From: John Whelan <whelan@itp.unibe.ch>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 08:01:43 -0500 (EST)
To: www-html@w3.org
Daniel Hister writes about use of the <i> element:

> So many websites do reviews of TV shows, music, plays, etc. and all those
> are, according to my experience in journalism classes, "supposed to be"
> printed in italics.

In this case, we're talking about a title, so the <cite> element can
be used.  A few specific elements exist for non-emphatic syntactic
use of italics, such as <dfn> and <var>, but it's impossible for
such a list to be exhaustive, and it's useful to have the <i> and
<b> elements to indicate, in contrast to a <span>, that the change
in font style carries a logical meaning.

					John T. Whelan
					whelan@iname.com
					http://www.slack.net/~whelan/