Re: Physical markup concept snag

From: Daniel Hiester <alatus@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:11:37 -0800
To: "www-html" <www-html@w3.org>
--Previous discussion of this sort of thing suggested specific examples
from existing print style conventions, where bold, italic, or
strike-thru text had a meaning in a specific context.

I think some examples that were mentioned were legal writing, and
bibliographic citations. I'd suppose any application where you
want to keep the printed form and the web text congruent could
fall into this category.--

So many websites do reviews of TV shows, music, plays, etc. and all those
are, according to my experience in journalism classes, "supposed to be"
printed in italics.

There's a "standard," I guess... I don't know who set it, and to whom it
applies, but the web does need to support bold and italics et al. that
aren't intended to be used for emotional emphasis.

Daniel