RE: Status of Frames in HTML 4 (was: errata, http://www.w3.org/TR /xhtml1)

From: Ann Navarro <ann@webgeek.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:25:46 -0500
To: JOrendorff@ixl.com, www-html@w3.org
At 11:12 AM 1/11/00 -0500, JOrendorff@ixl.com wrote:
>The HTML 4 spec should mention that frames and <A target>
>are deprecated.  Errata, perhaps?

They aren't deprecated in HTML 4.

>Frame markup isn't in the HTML 4 Strict DTD,

never were

>and frames
>are gone from the XHTML 1.1 WD.  But it shouldn't be a
>secret.

It isn't. But you can't expect a spec that allows them to look forward to a
spec that changes the situation. We don't retroactively edit a spec to say
"oh, and these will be deprecated in that spec 2 iterations forward".

Ann
---
Just Released! - HTML BY Example
Now shipping -  Mastering XML
Also in print:  Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org
Director, HWG Online Education             http://www.hwg.org/services/classes