Re: Device upload for all platforms -- the official HTML WG position

From: "James P. Salsman" <bovik@best.com>
> Thank you for your message.  I hope this one gets through.  Some
> of my email to W3C lists (e.g., www-forms) has not appeared in
> the archives.

Some W3C lists are not public, and intended for members of the group only.

> You state that there are comments regarding how the device upload
> proposal can be improved.  Please publish them, with my replies to
> them.  My understanding is that there are no unresolved issues.

They are already published, and there is no need to repeat them here.

> The device upload proposal -- http://www.bovik.org/device-upload.html
> is the epitome of device independence -- it has an extensible
> "device" attribute, after all.

My suspicion, James, since you continue to repeat this, is that you don't
understand the issues. Other replies to the www-html mailing list are only
repeating the comments we gave you in the early stages of this discussion,
so I suggest you read them carefully.

> You refer to the extensive re-design of forms using XML, which
> will require substantial replacement of both client and server
> software.  I do not wish my work to be associated with that
> effort.

Then you are out of luck, because that is the only place where work on forms
is happening within W3C.

> Why
> should people on non-wintel platforms wait that long for a way
> to record audio?

This non-wintel issue is a red herring, and has nothing to do with it.

> As you know, I participated in the XForms work,
> but I think it would be a mistake for me to resume participation.

I concur.

> Please accept the device upload submission from General Magic
> as a Working Draft, on Recommendation track.

It was submitted to us once, and we have replied. It would serve no purpose
to submit it again, even if you did represent General Magic.

Steven Pemberton
Chair W3C HTML WG