Re: file upload extension

From: <Jukka.Korpela@hut.fi>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 01:35:05 -0500 (EST)
To: www-html@w3.org
On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> Well OK, maybe we do need one
> small enhancement: wanttype="audio/basic".
> So we'd have something like this:
>
>   <INPUT TYPE=file NAME=foo WANTTYPE="audio/basic">

I might be missing something, but wouldn't that WANTTYPE duplicate
the ACCEPT attribute which has been in the specs since 1995
(RFC 1867, later adopted to HTML 3.2)? Though it seems that no
browser vendor cared to implement it.

> With that info, the UA would know to record sound and convert to
> .au format.

Well that's a different issue. An input field is just an input field,
and browsers may provide whatever methods they like to let users
input data. Conceivably a UA could provide, as one alternative,
such an interface. Nothing needs to be added to HTML for that purpose.

--
Yucca, http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/ or http://yucca.hut.fi/yucca.html