Re: inline CSS (was: is anyone interested in XHTML?)

From: Sal Candido <salcandido@fastwebnow.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 23:56:32 -0600
To: <www-html@w3.org>
> So, what entitles anyone (including software) to simply - or is it
> blithely! - *assume* that the contents of the attribute are in fact
> CSS, and not some other language?

This is a very good point that I hadn't considered until now. I suppose
there could be some way to set the default styling language for the style
attribute in each document, but that would just be annoying as well.

> > Is there that great a difference in using the style attribute
> > rather than id'ing the element and then applying styles in the
> > latter?

When I said this I meant from an authoring standpoint. When I write a page
and I want to give a <span> style I don't want to id the element, then make
or find a style element... etc. I do see part of the reasoning behind the
argument for removing the style attribute though.

note: Is there some place that explains the reasoning behind the W3C specs
or the thought process the working groups went through when writing the
specs? I haven't been able to find one.

Sal Candido
salcandido@fastwebnow.com
http://www.fastwebnow.com