Re: inline CSS (was: is anyone interested in XHTML?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 20:25:19 -0500 (EST), Arjun Ray <aray@q2.net>
wrote:
>I'm not sure why SPANning it means having to STYLE it rather than
>CLASS it.  Sue?

It doesn't necessarily mean that <span> is *required*.  I believe
you'd say it was the 'lazy' way out? My limited use of inline style is
to override - for a single time use - one of the classes I commonly
use in our basic external stylesheet. In an article I wrote to explain
how to 'translate' HTML presentation elements to CSS, I wrote in part:

<P CLASS="intro">This demonstrates <SPAN STYLE="text-decoration:
blink;">blink</SPAN>.</P>

Surely anyone could understand that I preferred not to include a CLASS
in this case? If I were to remind you that you that you helped me
customize a DTD for the page (which also uses <BLINK>), you'd recall
(and probably never help me again, either).  The "intro" class is one
that we use consistently for the first paragraph on each of our pages,
and it is logical in our external stylesheet. The creation of the
custom DTD for the one time use of <BLINK> and the <SPAN> for the one
time use of text-decoration: blink are aberrations from the usual -
one of those rare instances I cited as useful for inline style.

Disclaimer: I am not now, nor ever have I been employed by Microsoft.
I am employed by Opera Software but to the best of my knowledge, have
not been assimilated by the Evil Empire. Well, maybe I <blink>ed.

Sue