Re: XHTML Basic and XHTML modularization: STRONG; I, B, (TT)

Why isn't it more natural to see EM as signaling
contrast with the surrounding text, so that a natural
style would follow a toggling convention (e.g., between
italic and roman, as in LaTeX)? If so, the availability
of EM and STRONG may allow a natural toggling of
emphasis (EM) and increasingly strong emphasis
(STRONG).

Alan Isaac