RE: [Q] META "Refresh" deprecated ?

From: Jonny Axelsson <jonny@metastasis.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:16:57 +0100
To: www-html@w3c.org
At 07:35 22.02.00 -0500, Patrice Calve wrote:
>Hi,
>
>The refresh is usefull for web applications.  The programmers can have tiny
>frames with one frameset having a refresh of x minutes just to KEEP ALIVE
>the session.
>
>This technique has been very usefull when the user has to enter a long or
>complicated form (usually elaborate expense forms requested by our clients).
>
>Without changing the session timeout of the server and of the whole
>application, you can hide the Keep alive page in some parts of the system
>where it's slow.

I'd just like to interject that I hate this use. Not in complex forms, but
on the front page of news sites like cnn.com. They typically has a refresh
rate of 15-30 minutes to ensure that you view the latest news. The problem
is when you use dial-up connection from countries where you pay per minute
(the majority of countries in the world).

A refresh usually causes a dial-up. If you have a shut-down after 20
minutes, you can have this sequence: Automatic dialup, after 20 minutes
shut-down, after 10 minutes dial-up, after 20 minutes shut-down... If you
happen to leave your browser with cnn.com (or similar), shut down and leave
for a day, that cost is upwards of 25$ (I know, I've done that).