RE: URL better than FPI

From: Arjun Ray <aray@q2.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 00:42:42 -0500 (EST)
To: www-html@w3.org

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Dave  J Woolley wrote:
> > From:	Murray Altheim [SMTP:altheim@eng.sun.com]
>
> > I believe one of the reasons why ISO 8879 is not in the
> > normative section (but is included in 'Other References') is
> > perhaps because at the time of printing the WeBSGML (TC2) was
> > not yet an ISO standard
>
> 	I thought we were talking about SGML - XML claims to
> 	be SGML, although any transitive reference to SGML
> 	would still introduce the full complexity.
>
> > and therefore couldn't be referenced as a normative
> > specification.  But I don't remember the particular history on
> > this decision.

Offhand, I don't remember either.  I think it had to do with whether
"transitive references" ought to be necessary - as opposed to the XML
spec functioning as a more or less complete free-standing document.

At any rate, I do remember a subsequent discussion during the first
round of the namespaces fiasco.  Unfortunately, it's buried in a very
long thread, "Update on namespaces".  I think it started with this:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-sgml-wg/1997Jun/0327.html

Arjun