Re: identify XHTML DTD by URI, not by FPI

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Everything that uses a cached copy of the DTD continues to validate,
> because, as I said, the binding between Idtd and the corresponding
> text is guaranteed not to change. You don't ever have to go back
> to the net to see if it has changed. If something unforseen
> happens and the net gives you different content in exchange for
> that identifier, you're free to assume that the net is broken
> and continue to use your cached copy.

I assume the net is broken?  Isn't that changing the semantics of URLs?

       <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~roconnor/>
``Paradoxically, a refusal to `put a monetary value on life' means that
life is often undervalued.'' -- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach